Sunday, September 23, 2007

Liverpool 0 Birmingham 0

Games like that makes me unhappy.

To me, what a Championship winning team must do is win games that they are meant to win, win games that they are meant to draw, draw games that are meant to be lost. No I don't mean on paper, I meant performance on the field.

Last week against Portsmouth, I have to admit, Portsmouth played their best, and they had a penalty. It was a game destined to be lost. There will be matches like that. But somehow, Liverpool hold through and draw a game that was meant to be lost. It might be remembered as 2 points lost, but honestly, its 1 point gained.

This week, I saw total dominance over Birmingham. When I say dominance, I meant on any other occasion it should have been at the very least a 4-0 victory. I saw shots coming in from all over, from everyone, good ones, bad ones, wasted ones, ones that didn't qualify as shots but should have been goals. Birmingham never came close.

The 0-0 scoreline does no justice to the game play, its 2 points lost for this game. As much as we like to boast that we have yet to concede a goal from open play all season, and this is clean sheet number I lost count, the fireworks only happen when you score a goal. It can be the most spectacular volley from 50 yards out, or a simple tap in from a very messy play, or even a controversial one that didn't cross the line, at the end of the season, 3 points earned, by hook or crook is still 3 points earned.

Liverpool squandered chance after chance, when there are no goals scored in a game like that, there should be no excuse. Everyone has to take the blame. As fancy as they played, this is considered a failure. 3 draws in 3 games after an international break, as much as anyone would even consider this as a crisis, it is what it is. If you want to win the title, and not win games like this, it can be one game, it can be 20 games, it IS a crisis.

We need fireworks.