Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Champions Youth Cup

In case if you don't know, the finals will be between Man Utd and Juventus.

Let me just say that this competition is held at the wrong time, and the attendance is just pathetic. Yes, even the news was debating on this. We are talking about the future of football, and drawing crowds fewer than matches of the local leagues, I'm not sure whether to be proud or sad.

Both finalist, I have yet to watch a single match on any of them. So my guess of the outcome is as good as any body's. If Liverpool's in this tournament, I believe they will have a good chance of winning, since they are the domestic youth champions for a couple of years already.

Looking at the youth system of both Man Utd and Juventus, both are pretty impressive. Man Utd can churn a talentless Luke Chadwick to peak when he's barely 20. Juve's youngsters are well, they have a history of creating careers for plenty of Italian internationals.

My rough pick would be Man Utd to win the tournament. The best team doesn't always win things like that, it comes down to determination and luck. Good luck!